ST7 - how to pass?

Discussion in 'SP7' started by RCYCH, Jul 30, 2017.

1. RCYCH

RCYCH Member

Hi,

I've failed my ST7 twice, each missing the pass mark by 2, so am eager to know those who passed this subject (or other STs) to see if there's any tips you did in preparing/doing your exam (that I am not doing). I suspected I was writing to brief to illustrate all the points but even that, I just barely finished the paper each time (incl the time to think). Wanna know how you all can write so much (incl thinking time) to score sufficient points to pass within the 3 hours? Before these 2 attempts I passed my ST1, I couldn't recall what I did to pass but only remembered I did write fully for 3 hours...plus there are more calculations in ST7.

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction in my next attempt!

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Be really honest with yourself when you're marking your script. Have you really said what was in the examiner's report? (You don't need to use their exact words, but you do need to make the same point.) If you have only said half of what they've said, then you only score half the available mark for that point.

Remember it's more important to identify which marks you're missing than it is to simply mark your script. This is crucial. You should write down what marks you miss; add them to your existing notes, or to your mnemonics.

How much are you writing for each attempt at a half mark? You should be aiming for say 2 or 3 lines maximum for a half mark, otherwise you'll run out of time.

To test your written style, try attempting a paper under exam conditions, then leave it for a week so you can take a look at it with fresh eyes. Ask yourself the following sorts of questions:
    • "Are you warbling on for a long paragraph before finally stumbling on a point?" If so, you probably need to plan your answer before you start writing.
    • "Have you quickly mentioned the impact of your point on the insurer?" (Eg "... this can improve the credit rating", or "... this can lead to anti-selection".) That can help get an extra half mark, or can pad out a mark that otherwise might have been too brief to score.
    • "Have you given a few examples?" Often these only need to be one word or two words (for example "model each peril separately, eg theft, flood, accidental damage etc"), but again they can pad out a mark that would otherwise be too brief. If you're really lucky, they'll score a mark each.

Calculations can be very time-hungry yes. Why not make a note of what time you start a question, allow yourself 1.8 minutes per mark and be prepared to move on when your time is up. You could even plan your exam like this in the reading time.