ST6 - second ST exam

Discussion in 'SP6' started by sarahr, May 2, 2017.

1. sarahr

sarahr Member

Hi all,
    I'm working in life insurance and have recently passed ST2. I want to do a second ST in October (as well as CA2 in September) and ST6 really interests me as I really enjoyed CT8. But I don't actually have experience working in investments or with derivatives so I'm thinking it may be a very risky decision to make (especially since I've heard the pass rate is so low).
    For those of you who have passed ST6 - what do you think gave you the edge? And what do you think helped you to pass it?
    ST1 seems like the 'safer' option to take but it does not interest me too much as there is quite a bit of overlap with ST2.
    Any thoughts to help me with my decision will be greatly appreciated :)

2. Frances

Frances Member

Hi all,

I'm also currently considering whether to sit ST5 or ST6 and I work in life insurance too. Would someone kindly share the pros and cons of sitting each of these exams? I am currently torn between the two!

Thanks,

Fran

3. Punchline

Punchline Member

ST6 is a lot more mathematical - almost 50% of the paper can be fairly technical.

ST5 is more general about investments - knowing all about different asset classes etc.

If you like maths (think CT8 on steroids), do ST6. If you just want to learn about investments, do ST5.

ST5 follows a similar style to ST2.

ST1 is basically ST2 but you replace the word "Life" with "Health" - this is a slight generalisation but that's the idea.

4. sarahr

sarahr Member

Thanks, Punchline - that's really helpful :)
    I love maths and stats which is why I am thinking ST6 but I've looked into the pass rates (which are shockingly low!) so I'm leaning more towards ST1 now because of it's similarity with ST2. Hopefully it's not too boring!

5. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

Hi
    Hi sarahr,

What have you decided? What was the outcome and have u regret it?
    Thanks