ST6 - CT8 Overlap

Discussion in 'SP6' started by Edwin, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi, may someone advice me on the parts of CT8 that are a simplified part of ST6, I've heard that ST6 may help in establishing a firm understanding of CT8.

So which parts of ST6 overlap with CT8???

2. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Chapter 1-7 of ST6 overlaps with CT8. Certain concepts are better explained in ST6, but ST6 assumes prior knowledge of CT8, so the explanation is slightly condensed as compared to what you will get in CT8.

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Do you think the level of stochastic Calculus in ST6 is higher? I have been using some ST6 questions for practice and to gain insight and can say to me it looked the same, only a better explanation each time from the answers???

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2011
  4. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

The concepts look to be the same, except in probability measure theory. I'm just about completing ST5, and haven't started with the ST6 question papers yet. It's there we get to find out if it's "higher" or not :eek:

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

I'm preparing for CT8 and i've done questions from some of the ST6 papers, i think I agree that it's quite high. Nonetheless, I reckon CT8-ST6 can be an awesome combo!!!

The ideas overlap brilliantly!

6. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

The ST6 question papers are making a parody of my understanding of derivatives. This is easily the best and the most challenging subject I've read so far in my life. I don't know if I'll pass it come May; I haven't failed in any paper yet, but I certainly won't mind going through the whole ST6 stuff again...it will be a worthy enemy to lose to :cool:

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

When you actually sit the papers under exam conditions, you realise Derivatives Pricing is Deeper than it is presented in the Core reading. It is techne, not Episteme!

Anyway best wishes. I'm sure it will be worth the effort when 'done well'!