ST5 past papers

Discussion in 'SP5' started by rlsrachaellouisesmith, Aug 9, 2023.

1. rlsrachaellouisesmith

rlsrachaellouisesmith Ton up Member

Hi

Are there any questions in 2012-2018 papers that are no longer part of the syllabus and should therefore be ignored?

Thank you,

Rachael

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes - but not that many. Our ASET product would remove those questions (if you have it), but it would be difficult to list any redundant questions individually. There are also a few questions that related to a topical issue such as the banking crisis, or the government debt crisis of 2012 to 2014, QE ... These are also probably not that relevant any more.

3. rlsrachaellouisesmith

As ASET only covers 2014-2017, would the revision booklet be the best source for these to be removed from?

SP2 forum has posted the questions that are no longer part of the syllabus, would it be possible to do the same here for SP5?

Thank you very much.

Rachael

4. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi
    the revision books certainly have had any out-of-date questions removed, and as you say, they go back a full 10 years. However you may be over-estimating the scale of the problem here. My feeling is that 99% of questions are relevant, even when you go back to 2012. The topical issues questions are probably a bigger issue - and those questions are still in ASET and revision booklets, because the core reading background hasnt changed or been removed. It is just unlikely that a similar question would appear on that material in the current sittings.
    I wasnt aware that they publish the ASET cross reference grid in SP2. It is only in ASET for SP5. However that shows all "relevant" questions, so its quite tricky to identify the odd one or two that are missing. If I were you I would simply assume that they are all relevant.
    Another issue that I havent mentioned is that the style of the exams has changed since Covid when the exams went online/ open book. In past papers there were lot of pure memory/bookwork questions. These no longer appear in modern exams. All questions require you to apply the knowledge. In some older papers, memory questions were up to 30% of the marks, so thats quite a big change, and renders quite a few older questions redundant. Also the horrible long numerical performance attribution questions which were everybodies' nightmare, have not reappeared in the same way. (No reason why they could not ask those in an online exam, but they just havent so far).

Hope this helps.

5. rlsrachaellouisesmith

Thank you for highlighting these issues Colin, understood.