ST5 or ST6?

Discussion in 'SP5' started by samuel_von_gudmange, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Hi,

Just wondering if I could ask for some advice from those who've looked at these subjects.

I work in the valuation team of a life insurance company, and have just been moved to a team that does stochastic Asset-Liability modelling.

I've finished all the CTs and sat CA1, and can't decide about which STs to do. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing ST2 and SA2 (the life ones), and I think a finance/investment ST would be good too.

Which do you think would be most relevant and/or interesting? I've heard that ST6 is quite hard. How much harder than CT8 do people normally find it?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have,

Sam

2. vikas.sharan

vikas.sharan Member

ST5 ot ST6

ST5 is more applicable to Life insurance and has less mathematics. One problem with ST6 is that the course is not so well structured because of the inclusion of the two books in the syllabus. Sometimes its hard to decide whether to cover a topic in the books or not.

There is a good amount of overlap between CA1 and ST5, which might be an advantage.

I am not sure about what the pass rates are like fior the two subjects.

I would definitely suggest ST5. But if you are someone who would like a change in normal studying habits to which you have got used to (Study notes, core reading) go for ST6.

Good luck deciding!

Vikas