ST5 or CA1

Discussion in 'SP5' started by Falak Soomro, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Falak Soomro

Falak Soomro Member

Is it okay to sit ST5 before having sat or studied CA1? I know there are some parts of CA1 that one needs to understand before preparing for ST5? I would appreciate if an ActEd tutor could advise me on this.

I don't have sufficient time to study for CA1 thats why I am planning to sit ST5 which will also help me in my career as I am working in investments department in a life insurance company.

Please also suggest what chapters should I read in CA1 to prepare for ST5! I have cleared all CT exams except CT4 and CT9.

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

ST5 before CA1

You are in the lucky position of working in an investment environment which will help a lot for ST5. This may tip the balance. There have been some questions in ST5 that are based on material that is better covered (or only covered) in CA1. An example is a question on property investment, where nothing in ST5 would really have helped, but a chapter on property in CA1 would have been useful.
    Some of the chapters that do require CA1 are repeated in the ST5 course notes, such as risk budgeting, and financial regulation, so you are OK there.
    I would say that it is recommended to do them in the order CA1 then ST5, but if you have to, you will not be at too much ofa disadvantage if you do it in reverse, especially if you are in an investment role. Hope this helps.
    Which chapters in CA1 top read? Thats difficult because its impossible to predict what may be next on the examiners hit list. The main asset chapters in CA1 start at chapter 13 money markets, and go on to chapter 24 valuation of asset classes. the other chapters are either less relevant or repeated in ST5. Cheers

3. TheOke

TheOke Member

I wrote ST5 before CA1.
    I don't think it's a problem.
    I'm not a tutor though.