ST5 needed?

Discussion in 'SA5' started by Gareth, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Gareth

Gareth Member

Does anyone know how much this course depends on ST5? I did ST6, ST3 and am thinking of qualifying in SA5...but i'm not sure if i will be at a big disadvantage not having done ST5...

thanks,

gareth

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

ST5 links to SA5

There is a fairly large amount of material from ST5 that is examined in SA5, particularly securitisation, credit derivatives, mergers and acquisitions, the uses of derivatives, as well as some of the regulation and legislation chapters. It is do-able if you feel you have a good understanding of these areas, or if you can spare the time to download the ST5 and 305 papers and do all the relevant past paper questions a few times. Most ST5 questions are relevant, but only about half of the 305 questions are relevant. Tough call - it depends on your confidence on these key matters. ST6 doesnt really help you at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  3. While taking this comment out of context, the cynic in me would wholeheartedly agree with this statement. ;)

ST6 doesn't really help anyone. That said it should hopefully be better now that it's back to being textbook examined.

4. Gareth

Gareth Member

does ST6 help for SA6 and is ST5 needed for SA6 too?

5. Colin McKee

ST6 hasnt come up in the past in SA6 (except one very small comment in a question involving a derivative hedging strategy). I would say it is not required for SA6. ST5 on the other hand contains loads of stuff that comes up in SA6 - hedge funds, securitisation, indices, performance measurement and attribution, risk adjusted performance, portfolio management and derivative hedging using futures, options and swaps .. The list goes on.
    :eek:

6. Gareth

Gareth Member

strange...seems like the Institute need to rethink the numbering convention...I was under the impression that a STx subject prepares you for the corresponding SAx subject...

7. As I understand it, under the old system, 301 led to 401, 302 to 402, 303 to 403 and 304 to 404. When 305 came in, there was no 405, and CiD had ACiD.

As there's no longer an equivalent to 301 (being part of CA1), and as ACiD is not an SA subject they've essentially made ST6 have no follow-on and instead used SA6 for CA11 follow-on. Apart from that I think that STx maps to SAx.

But I could be wrong... :)

I'm not sure how they could make it clear that SA6 follows on from CA11?

8. Colin McKee

Which subject maps to which

:cool: I would say thats pretty much correct. For SA6 you need CA1 (assets) and about a half of ST5. ST6 may pop up occassionally but rarely. SA5 requires CA1 (assets) and the other half of ST5. ST6 is not relevant for this subject.