ST4 and CA1 overlap

Discussion in 'SP4' started by Helen83, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Helen83

Helen83 Member

How much overlap is there between the two subjects?

Also, does anyone know why the pass rate is always lower than for ST1-3? I know it's only around 5% difference but was just wondering....

2. Hi Helen

Re the overlap between the two subjects - yes there is some - just as there is overlap between CA1 and ST2 and ST3. In particular both CA1 and ST4 cover providers of benefits, discontinuance of benefit schemes, different approaches to financing and market-related discount rates. In places the coverage in CA1 is at a higher level, ST4 provides more detail.

The relationship between the pass rates in the ST subjects actually varies from one sitting to the next, so sometimes the ST4 pass rate is lower than the rest, but in other sittings it is higher.

It may be that at certain times students working for pension firms have been under a lot of pressure - e.g when pension legislation has changed - meaning they have not been able to study as much as other students.

Overall though the ST4 pass rate is reasonably consistent with the other subjects I think so nothing to panic about too much!

Hope this helps!

Elizabeth

3. Korach

Korach Member

Overlap with CA1

I think the overlap could be as high as 15% of the material, depending on how you count.

It would be helpful if the Course Notes noted something like "If you already studied CA1 you will find that this entire chapter contains no new information for you, except for page XX" or "If the above Core Reading sounds familiar, this is because it is also in Chapter XX of CA1".

It would be a shame to invent new mnemonics and annotate new Chapter Summaries when you could just use the old ones that you already memorised and, with a little exertion, can easily refresh your memory of.

4. bystander

bystander Member

Don't let the amount of overlap sway you. I think the best choice is the one you have a real interest in and one potentially you may want to use as a career choice or back up if you aren't going to do the SA4.

As the tutor says, the CA1 and ST come at different knowledge levels so a CA1 answer wouldn't be fitting for a ST answer and vice verse because you'll get the wrong depth.

Happy studies!