ST3 September 2006

Discussion in 'SP8' started by Gareth, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Gareth

Gareth Member

So what did you think?

I thought it was ok overall, the last question was quite a lot of maths for ST3...

Happy that all the tricky bits i didnt have time to learn didnt come up!

2. parnell

parnell Member

Last question tore me up - in fact I'd say I failed it just cos of that question... poop

3. FatSam

FatSam Member

Have to say I whole heartedly agree.
    Feel quite gutted actually. Actuarial exams have been a long slow slog to get even this far. I did my 100's about 3 years ago and I could not remember how the hell to do that last question. Aside from the first part for 5 marks (which I basically just wrote cr*p about the steps of a stochastic model!) I left the rest of the answer blank....BLANK! OMG too gutted to continue....... :(

4. Last 3 questions were quite tricky - especially the last one. Just not sure if I got enough down for questions 6 & 7. Thought the bookwork bits (first 4 questions) were ok - but then everyone has probably done ok on them. Not really sure how I've done on the whole! My optimism about having an even remote chance of passing seems to wane the closer we get to the results...

5. FatSam

FatSam Member

Personally I have written off my chances but IMHO.....
    I think all of the questions on the left hand side of the paper i.e. 1-5 can be excluded cause literally everyone will have scored 75% or above on them. Its basically down to the last 3 questions. For 6 and 7, I think the hardest part was definitely deciding what was being asked. I wrote such a broad range of points cause I was so unsure. No doubt, I touched on some of what was in the marking schedule but I fear a lot of my other points will not score, however valid!

6. parnell

parnell Member

Then at least u got the first 5 marks...
    the absolute worst thing about this is that I am absolutely sure that I will never ever face an easier ST3 exam ...
    btw it was only until I left the exam and arrived off my train that I realised that I forgot to perform the exponential function back to the values from the normal distribution - I believe that in this I just dropped it... craporama

I have never passed an actuarial exam with leaving any part of an exam question blank - I left one part of the last question (last part) out and I believe that bucking the trend is unlikely.

7. FatSam

FatSam Member

That doesn't sound too bad at all!
    At least you made an attempt at answering! None of the other 5 people I know who sat it answered the last part of the last question. And it seems as if that exponential conversion thing would have only been about 1 or 2 marks - hardly break the bank.
    Just be grateful that you had a stab. I am still seethin...

8. parnell

parnell Member

I was rushing so very very little explanation given - in any case my answers were way off - if i had a moment to think i would have realised it... and therefore my normally optimistic non-actuarial nature has taken a dive... in any case see u April bro..

9. Moggy

Moggy Member

I had a go at doing the maths parts of the last question, but my answers will be rubbish, so I am being marked out of 85 :(

However I suspect the majority of students won't have been able to do the maths parts as IT ISN'T IN THE EFFIN COURSE :mad:

Why do they do this? :confused: :(

10. LouiseF

LouiseF Member

Wasn't that question worth 25 marks, and so you're being marked out of 75?

11. Moggy

Moggy Member

No, as 10 of the 25 were written answers which I attempted