ST2 April 2014 - Sept 2018

Discussion in 'SP2' started by rlsrachaellouisesmith, Mar 1, 2023.

1. rlsrachaellouisesmith

rlsrachaellouisesmith Ton up Member

Good morning

Are there any questions in the exam papers in this period that are no longer relevant to the course, other than those mentioned in the pinned post 'ST2 key syllabus changes 2018'?

I am currently looking at April 2014 Q3(ii) the question seems a valid question for the current course but the examiner report mentions methods I have not come across, should we know about the surrender value respread method and the accumulation of premium arrears/surplus method. The only methods in the current course are the equating policy values and proportionate paid up values I think. The pinned post on key syllabus changes says only part of the answer is relevant so just wanted to check I have understood which part is relevant.

Thank you,

Rachael

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Rachael

Yes, that's right. The alteration methods in the current course are only equating policy values and proportionate paid up. The other methods (Surrender value respread, Accumulation of surplus/arrears, Paid-up plus premium) are no longer covered.

My post on 17 March 2017 on the first pinned thread lists the key changes to the course:

"You should be ok to attempt the majority of the past ST2 questions in your revision. However, the following topics have now been removed from the syllabus, so you should avoid questions on these topics:
    • Groupe Consultatif Reserving Principles
    • Actuarial funding
    • Zillmerisation of net premium reserves
    • Surrender value respread, Accumulation of surplus/arrears, Paid-up plus premium for the balance (these three alteration methods have been deleted, but the course still includes Equating policy values and Proportionate paid-up)."
    The most significant change since then that would impact the relevance of past exam questions has been changes to the pricing of mortality options. In particular, the course no longer covers the conventional method and North American method for pricing mortality options.

Best wishes

Mark