ST1 with no health experience

Discussion in 'SP1' started by Nutan, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Nutan

Nutan Member

Hi,

I am considering taking ST1 as my second ST (my first is in pensions) but I have no experience in health (or any other) insurance. I was wondering how much of a disadvantage this would be? Do many people take this option with no health experience?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Anna Walklate

Anna Walklate ActEd Tutor Staff Member

You certainly won't be the only person who doesn't have health experience. Based on tutorial attendance, I would say that the majority of students don't actually work in health. Most seem to work in life - some with a small amount of health experience and some with none. While not in the majority, pensions students aren't uncommon.

So you will be at a slight disadvantage compared to the life people, but you won't be the only one.

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend attempting it until you've attempted Subject CA1, as this should help give you a bit of grounding in how insurance works.

I hope this helps!

3. bystander

bystander Member

If its an area that interests you, your enthusiasm can help. Don't just pick one you feel is a 'soft' option as if you don't find it interesting, that is a real disadvantage.

Anna is right about CA1 first. You don't necessarily need to have passed it though but have studied it well and feel comfortable with the bits particularly aimed at insurance principles.

It is definitely an idea to get help along the way so I'd definitely recommend tutorials and marking given your background.

4. Nutan

Nutan Member

That's great, thanks very much for your advice guys. :)

I am studying CA1 at the moment and have attended tutorials which have definitely been useful. Health is an interesting area to me, much more so than finance which many in pensions take. So, it's good to know that I would have a reasonable chance with ST1.