ST or CA

Discussion in 'ST3' started by AVR, Jun 9, 2006.

1. AVR

AVR Member

I have finished my CT's, and must decide whether to write CA1 or ST3 in September. Is it necessary to first write CA1 before trying a ST, since I have not written any of the previous 300 series exams. Anyone done it before, because the 400hr recommended study time is a bit hectic between now and September. :confused:

2. Cardano

Cardano Member

The right tactical decision is to do an ST first. This may not be the right strategic decision though

3. bystander

bystander Member

If you want to see any of the World Cup, then CA1 is out. It's just such a large course. Even forgoing the footie and summer sun I reckon you'd be better off going for a ST. I'd go for one that you work in though as some knowledge will help you given the timeframe to Sep.

Or of course, there's always communications which is short but lots of practise is highly recommended. From your post, it doesn't look like you've got that one out of the way.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

4. AVR

AVR Member

CA3 passed with first attempt believe it or not. Currently working in GI thus ST3 seems to be the logical choice.

5. LouiseF

LouiseF Member

AVR

ST3 is quite a long course (though not compared to CA1) so you would be working quite hard for the next three months. And presumably you'd take CA1 then in April 07 with a possible ST3 repeat too. That'd really be quite a lot of work. I'd only do ST3 with CA1 hanging over you if you were really sure you'd get it.

The other option is to take ActEd's advice and start studying CA1 now (or in a month's time - hey it's the summer, enjoy it!) with the view to sitting it in April. I'm sure it'd increase you chances loads of passing it if you gave it more time than just one sitting. But I've failed it twice last year, so not sure you should take my assurances!

I've found that CA1 is really a turning point in the exams. Without it you're only half way through but with it you're three-quarters of the way there. I can't wait until I'm finished with it.

6. kanch

kanch Member

Agree with most of the above comments. I wouldnt do CA1 in september (Especially if you haven't started atleast reading the notes). Personally I would do CA1 in April and also may be a ST (Given that you start soon). Again doing ST's before the CA1 helps a lot. When it comes to ST3 i reckon you need some practical experience (Except for the City University course) in GI and if you are working in GI it should help.
    Good Luck.
    Again do not rush coz you really dont wanna repeat CA1 - imagine going over 50 odd chapters for the second time!

7. hi5

hi5 Member

I rather say that instead of doing CA1, you could attempt 2 ST in Sept.

Speaking of which, can anyone please tell me which are the two easiest subjects on the ST stage.

8. kanch

kanch Member

ST2 is OK. I ain't sure of the other ST's but I knw for sure the GI ST paper is tough.
    I still feel its too late to do two ST's in September. I reckon its possible to do one ST if you want to.

So I say, you should may be look at doing One ST in september (Given that you will have sufficient study time in the next two months) and do CA 1 in April