1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

ST 3 A2006 Q4 (i)

Discussion in 'SP8' started by r_v.s, Mar 22, 2015.

1. r_v.s

r_v.s Ton up Member

Would you pls explain the premium index in the solution?? How have the reate changes been used?

2. Darren Michaels

Darren Michaels ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The premium index allows for the historical premium rate changes between the historical underwriting years when the original premiums were written and the future year that you are estimating the loss ratio for.

It is calculated using the rate changes provided.

So to adjust the premiums written in 2001 to be on 2006 terms you need to increase by 50%, followed by an increase of 10%, followed by an increase of 5%, then no change and then allow for a 5% fall between 2005 and 2006.

The index for 2001 is therefore 1.5*1.1*1.05*1.0*0.95=1.65

3. Jammy

Jammy Very Active Member

From what I understand about part (i),
    We are concluding that a 96.5% loss ratio can be expected for the 2006 underwriting year.

Thus, we are simply calculating a weighted average of the past years, after all adjustments.

Kindly guide whether my understanding is correct.