SP9 April 2021 exam

Discussion in 'SP9' started by alfie85, Feb 1, 2021.

1. alfie85

alfie85 Member

Hi. Apologies if this has been asked before but I am new to forum. A few questions regarding April 2021 exam which will be remote
    1) I note the exam script upload file type for SP9 is excel rather than word. I'm a bit confused as to what this means. Can i still do the exam in Word or does it need to be in excel? If so do i type into a spreadsheet? Given this can be quite a wordy exam it seems a bit strange.

2) regarding approach to eliminate plagiarism and quoting references, if the acted notes have paraphrased something from Lam or Sweeting and I am working off the acted notes during the exam, do I need to quote the Acted notes or is that just considered as normal reading?

Thanks in advance

2. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Alfie

Taking your questions in turn ...

1) Our understanding is that the reference to an Excel upload in relation to the SP9 exam is an error, and that this will be corrected shortly by the IFoA.

2) The latest Assessment Regulations (January 2021, available from the IFoA's website) state that 'Candidates are strictly prohibited from using the copy and paste function or re-typing content word-for-word, whether memorised or referenced, from any source or multiple sources, such material may be used for consultation purposes only.' I think that the 'any source' reference here should be interpreted to include the ActEd Course Notes. Reproducing such material, word for word, would breach these regulations, and might be identified by the IFoA's plagiarism checks on exam scripts. Hence you should always aim to answer questions in your own words, tailoring your answer to the scenario described in the question.

Best wishes

David

Dar_Shan0209 and alfie85 like this.
  3. alfie85

alfie85 Member

Thanks a million for this David, Very helpful.