SP7 - SP8 Similarities

Discussion in 'SP7' started by Daithi ro Thaithi, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Daithi ro Thaithi

Daithi ro Thaithi Made first post

Hi All,

I'm just enquiring to see if you anyone can pass any comment on the similarities between the SP7 and SP8 notes for the exams.

Basically, I sat SP8 in September and I'd like to sit SP7 this coming April. I'm a little reluctant to order the material until the results are out next month. I was happy enough with how the SP8 exam went. However, it was my first time sitting one of the SP's so I'm not sure if I've done enough to pass.

Ideally, I'd like to start studying ASAP. From chatting to people in work they have stated the first half (Chapters 1-10) of the SP7 notes are identical to SP8 so I could just revise these chapters to start with. Has anyone any recent experience of sitting SP7 and SP8 recently and if this is actually true?

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Daithi
    Some of Chapters 1-10 are identical (eg products and reinsurance) but some are different (some more so than others). However, the material in the other two-thirds of the courses are completely different. More importantly though, I would never suggest waiting until results are out before starting studying, particularly for the later subjects like this. If I was you, I'd get stuck into SP7 right away (many students will already have started last month, so you don't want to get left behind). If results in December work in your favour, you'll be up to speed for SP7, and if they don't, you could consider doing both SP8/7 in April.
    Ian

3. Daithi ro Thaithi

Daithi ro Thaithi Made first post

Hi Ian,
    Many thanks for the reply, I appreciate the feedback. I'll make a start with the Products and Reinsurance chapters from SP8 and will look at ordering the study material. Thanks again for your help.