sp5 nature of exam

Discussion in 'SP5' started by dimitris13, Apr 23, 2020.

1. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

hi there,
    how are we sure (and how sure) that due to the change of the nature of being examed the exam nature will change as well?
    thanks

2. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

Based on the FAQ the exam will be the soon that would have been in exam centre except they have removed any question that would have required graphs.

I suspect that any long calculation like performance attribution will also be replaced with a worded question.

Other than that I suspect the format will be the same

3. patron

patron Member

I reckon they'll reduce the amount of marks available for clear bookwork questions, eg I'd be surprised to see a 10 mark question on the problems with overseas investment, just because that kind of thing is so easy to look up in the notes.

4. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

based on these (my assumptions as well) the exam nature is changed.

almost_there likes this.
  5. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

I don't see how? If you look at the Sept 2019 exam for instance - there would be nothing stopping an exam like that being asked this time round - the calculations aren't complicated nor need the use of excel to complete.. Similar bar Q7 (ii), the Sept 2018 paper could be done on word with little problems.

6. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

i think sep 19 was super difficult . actually the most difficult so far.

almost_there likes this.
  7. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

How?
    Q1 - straight forward calculations - 10 marks
    Q2 - 9 out of 14 marks is book work -
    Q3 - 17 out of 19 marks is book work
    Q4 - 8 out of 16 marks is book work
    Q5 - Book work - 12 marks
    Q6 - 9 out of 16 marks book work
    Q7 - This was a difficult question - but it's still very book work type answers - issues on any investment strategy and how they can be addressed will get you marks.

So overall 55 marks or there abouts is just book work, now you consider this time round your going to have all the notes in front of you - i don't see how you could every consider that sort of paper hard. Granted it was a bit different than maybe past papers, but purely from an exam point of view - over half the paper is book work, and rest are calculations or applying your knowledge. And the pass mark was 58

8. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

I'm not sure that bookwork will be removed entirely, I just think that most people will score extremely well for these questions and push the pass mark up. I think the exam marking will be very strict and give little credit for generic points which aren't tailored to the question.

Be careful with claiming questions are super easy... it's incredible how, in the heat of an exam, "easy" things become difficult. It's one thing to look at a question in a non-pressured environment!

dimitris13 and newkid like this.
  9. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

I accept that point, but in terms of a hard paper - if you knew the book work it was a good paper, all else being equal.

I also agree that the pass mark may be just pushed upward. They will know from past experience what students normally get in pure book word type questions, so it may only push pass mark up to mid 60's. We've seen in the passed there was a pass mark of 68 one year even though it hard a hard performance attribution question.

10. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

if u remove lets say half of bookwork u stay with 25 easy points. the gap is large... plus whatever the bookwork points are they are for almost all.

almost_there likes this.
  11. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

thats why i put super difficult...

almost_there likes this.
  12. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

Couldn't you say that about every exam?

13. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

yes. but this is not the norm. thats why i am saying that if they remove bookwork by changing the nature they make it more difficult

almost_there likes this.
  14. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

But they say in their FAQ:

15. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

yes but at the same time thay say for example no graphs ... who guarantees that they dont adjust am attribution exercose...

16. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

If an attribution question comes up you should still provide some working. Think about how you'd show your working if using a calculator. Even if you do make an error, demonstrating that you understand the key formulae and providing an example shows you understand the method, and should gain credit.

There's nothing to stop you working through the attribution questions using the more conventional calculator method if that's what you're used. I'd definitely recommend trying a few attribution questions in excel to get comfortable with this approach.

dimitris13 likes this.
  17. almost_there

almost_there Member

Yes, you make valid points in this thread and the pass rates support what you're saying.

Oh really? Is this what actually happened then...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2020
  18. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

I don't have any more insight in to this than you - what do you think happened? What I posted several months ago still seems plausible.