SP1 or SP9

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by rskk0702, Apr 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rskk0702

rskk0702 Member

Hi Guys,

Just a general question. This may or may not have been asked in the forum before, but I am really confused and would like some advice especially from those who have been through the same dilemma.

A little background about me: I work for a life insurance company and I sat for SP2 in April 2019. I want to decide on the next SP to take and confused between SP1 and SP9.

If you are/were in a similar situation, could you share what are the things you considered in making a decision? I have heard from some that SP9 is a bit difficult to crack through and would slow down the process of finishing exams. Is that so? Does anyone feel the same?

Regards,
    Kay

Geraldine likes this.
  2. Geraldine

Geraldine Member

If you work in life insurance, you'd probably have a good intuitive feel for SP1 - Whilst modifications for the specific types of product are needed, there is some overlap between SP1 and SP2 material. I would think it would be easier to prepare for than taking up SP9 given your practical experience and the fact that you've already done SP2 (I passed ST1 with a GI background o_O)

3. rskk0702

rskk0702 Member

Thank you for your reply!

Do you think SP9 would have more value addition considering risk management is gaining more importance?

4. Geraldine

Geraldine Member

Yes, that would be my guess, especially because it’s so differentiated from the other subjects and of course, garners that extra credential.

If you were asking about the choice between any other two subjects, my feeling would be to go for the route that’s easiest for you. And mostly because I don’t think types of subject passes are called in to question (as much as, say, whether you’re a fellow or not) when you have relevant experience... (just my feeling and experience with this)