Solvency II partial internal model

Discussion in 'SA2' started by Edward chong, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Edward chong

Edward chong Member

Hi,
    I would like to ask that:
    1. How does the extent of effort in meeting 6 standards of regulatory model approval (use test, statistical quality, calibration, profit & loss attribution, validation & documentation) differ from a full internal model?
    2. What are the integration options of partial internal model and their practicality? I am not looking for a very detailed treatment of this topic but more on high level understanding of realistic options available because I am unable to find more information for this topic than some regulatory texts which can be vastly different over time. What is the historic development that I have missed out?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2018
  2. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi
    The same approval process has to be undertaken for a model that is being used as a partial internal model, as for one that is being used as a full internal model.
    I am not sure that I fully understand your second question. The partial internal model can be used to model one or more specific products (rather than the whole portfolio) and/or it can be used to model one or more of the risk sub-modules of the SCR (for the whole portfolio or a subset).
    Hope that helps.

3. Edward chong

Edward chong Member

Hi,
    Sorry for the confusion. Let me rephrase my second questions as follows. Let say an insurer uses its own "joint" stochastic model on lapse risk sub-module under underwriting risk module & equity risk sub-module under market risk module. "Joint" here means insurer will model interaction between the 2 risks & hence their diversification effect, let say to accommodate for dynamic lapses of savings policies. All other risks are modeled using standard formula approach.

In this case, how would the insurer aggregates the solvency capital requirements (SCR) of lapse risk & equity risk with SCR of other risks? The concern here is that some values in the correlation matrix at sub risk-module & risk-module under standard formula approach may be inappropriate.

Thank you

4. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

If the use of the SF correlation matrix is inappropriate, then the "partial internal model" effectively extends to the integration element - the insurer would have to choose an appropriate approach.

There are various approaches that could be used, but these are not covered in the SA2 Core Reading so are not examinable.