Solvency II April 15 - Help!

Discussion in 'SA3' started by entact, Apr 17, 2015.

1. entact

entact Member

I don't have much time to spend this study session unfortunately so I'm going to have to focus on some topics more than others.

I know the obvious current topic is Solvency II but after looking at recent past exam papers, It seems all of the sections of the core reading for this topic have been examined and my thinking is now that it probably won't be examined for the following reasons:

1. It has come up in the last three sittings
    2. The topics examined in these sittings span the whole section on Solvency II
    3. Everyone will expect it to come up and the examiners will know that

Do students/tutors have any suggestions on other topics they would focus on if they hadn't the opportunity to go through the whole core reading in the detail required.

Obviously, I know the same topics/questions can come up multiple times but I'm looking at this from a likelihood point of view.

I work in Large Risk Pricing so I will cover that as it will be relatively straightforward. I'm thinking a question on reserving is overdue in the fellowship.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I wouldn't like to gamble that Solvency II won't come up. There have been plenty of questions in the past that have examined areas that weren't in the Core Reading. For example, the actuarial function wasn't in the Core Reading at the time it was examined, that section of Core Reading was added later.

Nor, I'm afraid, would I like to suggest which other topics might come up. Plenty of the subjects in the Core Reading are topical. Plenty of people work in APH and exit solutions for example, and an accounts question would be topical right now due to the new IFRS coming in.

I know that's not the answer you're looking for. There's no easy way to prepare I'm afraid, that's SA3 for you!