Simple Questions

Discussion in 'CT6' started by danjc, Jan 24, 2009.

1. danjc

danjc Member

Hi all,

I've got two questions that hopefully you guys can help me with. I'd really appreciate any help!

The first is very simple; I've been going through the course notes and they regularly refer to "the Tables". I have looked through the course notes thoroughly and cannot find them. I purchased the CMP, is it not included in there or have I not looked through the notes carefully enough?

The second question is to do with Chapter 4 - Reinsurance. P23, Q4.15, has the question "What is the limit of E(Yn) as n tends towards infinity?"

I've had a look at the answers and I can follow until we derive:

k^n (lambda)/(alpha - 1) * [1 - (1 + 500/(k^n * lambda))^(1-alpha)]

But when they ask me to use a binomial expression and simplify I'm not sure what to do :confused: . I assume its relatively simple as they put no working...:(

2. Hamilton

Hamilton Member

ok easy one first

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/members/transactions/publications_shop

you can find the tables there

so first there is a bit of re-expressing
    the notes just leave 1 line out

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

next bit is explained very poorly and is not by any means what I would call easy.
    First thing to note is alpha isn't a variable in this limit,it is 6 so alpha minus 1 =5
    so the notes expansion is nonsense in my eyes cause they take it to the power of minus 1 , the answer is written from the point of view of "I already know the answer so here is a poor explanation".

So I expand the top and bottom of the fraction in the brackets and then only worry about the term independent of k^n since all the rest will go to 0 in the limit , hope this makes sense IF you ever read this , so reply back if ya get it or more importantly if you don't get it.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009
  3. danjc

danjc Member

Thanks heaps Hamilton. Makes sense now, well worth the wait =). Studying alone has been quite different from studying at Uni where you can discuss with your class mates, so its good that a forum like this is around!
    Thanks again =)

4. Hamilton

Hamilton Member

not a problem Danjc

Its handy to be able to ask questions alright , to be honest I think this forum is pants , guess there isn't that many trainee actuaries on here willing to generate some much needed content . Well rant over. If you need any help and I mean any I will try .Need some motivation really bored studying at mo and I'm taking ct6 in April along with ct 1 3 and 5 , so many boring days ahead !