Sick of Exams, want a new job but doing what?

Discussion in 'Careers' started by Voodoo_Child, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Voodoo_Child

Voodoo_Child Member

After another unsuccessful period of exams I have decided enough is enough! I want out and I want out now!

I worked in a pensions consultancy for 18 months and have a years experience in GI on the London market.

I would like something where there's no exams, or at least not as many as actuarial, but I need to carry my salary, so at least £36k+!

What are my options?

Anyone?

2. thomasb

thomasb Member

IT?

You might be pushing it to get that salary until you've passed a couple of certification exams, but I can tell you from personal experience that they tend to be easier than than the actuarial exams,

And there's less of them.

Thomas

3. Cardano

Cardano Member

Thomas, Forgive my ignorance but what are the "certification exams" in IT?

4. thomasb

thomasb Member

Most vendors have certification on their products - such as Cisco or Microsoft. The certifications are supposed to show that you both understand theory and how it applies to the vendor's products.

Some certifications are particularly sought after - a CCIE (the top certification in the networking field) can typically demand between 50k and 70k depending on experience - and even more if his skills are in the Voice over IP world.

5. Cardano

Cardano Member

Thanks

6. Voodoo_Child

Voodoo_Child Member

Sounds like theres still alot of work involved to get to such a level. Please correct me if i'm wrong?!

7. Gareth

Gareth Member

Join a bank in their insurance linked securities department

8. Voodoo_Child

Voodoo_Child Member

Oooohh, now that sounds interesting and lucrative.

Thanks

9. Cardano

Cardano Member

I would be pretty wary about joining the banking industry. It is currently undergoing a massive liquidation and will probably face a witch hunt at some point in the future

10. thomasb

thomasb Member

There is a lot of work to get to the CCIE level - it's down to a number of factors, including knowledge, and frankly theres a much bigger element of dumb luck on the day you take the exam than there is on the actuarial exams.

Having said that, I would still think there's a lot less work than involved in doing the 15 exams to become an actuary, and on top of that, you don't always need to do CCIE to get the top jobs (though it helps getting past recruitment agents) in the way you need to pass your actuarial exams.

A CCNP could probably expect a salary of around 35 to 45k - maybe as much as 50.

As always though, there are regional differences and it's more than just certifications that determine money,

T.

11. fiend

fiend Member

12. AKT

AKT Member

Hi ,

Have you thought about Statistical Analyst,Business Analyst or Data Mining?
    With a good SAS Certification and transferable skills such as statistics and Data modelling/Analysis experience.It's unlikely you would be short of opportunities.
    There are a lot, insurance (What about staying with us ;) !!!) , pharmaceutical industry, academia, CRM,Credit and Score card design,etc...
    Check out this link:
    http://support.sas.com/training/us/paths/index.html

All the best...