show and derive

Discussion in 'CT6' started by sammo, Apr 24, 2011.

1. sammo

sammo Member

i learn better by doing past papers rather than going through core reading, I honestly find core reading boring but what's freaking me out is the possibility of being asked to show or derive something that's never been asked before or been asked a very long time ago like on
    September 2010 question 8
    http://www.actuaries.org.uk/sites/all/files/documents/pdf/fandict6201009examfinal.pdf

7 marks are difficult to see go down the drain but remembering this especially having not done a full university degree in maths:( :eek:

any suggestions on how to remember them or tackle it without wasting time in the exam and which derivations to look out for that seem very likely to come out

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Drop me an email and I'll send you a list of the proofs that could be asked and their likelihood based on past papers.

3. John Lee

Due to the overwhelming response - here is the file!

Attached Files:

4. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

Hi John
    Do you have a solutions copy to this list of proofs that you have prescribed in this list.Secondly I wanted to ask how about the ones with a neutral smile.It would help to know if any of these have been examined in the past?(For Example EPL proofs etc)
    Thanks

5. John Lee

I'm really sorry I don't have a solutions file as they're all direct out of the Core Reading (they are all explicitly done in the flashcards as well).

I wrote this document a while ago and it's been interesting to see how it's panned out. The last two questions on each of these are as follows:

Ch2 EPL S06 Q5, A05 Q2
    Ch3 MGFs (usually as part of adjustment coefficient)
    S11 Q9, A02 Q3, S01 Q10
    Ch3 Mixture A11 Q4, A02 Q7
    Ch4 Conditional distrib A00 Q3, A99 Q12
    Ch4 Proportional A11 Q10, A04 Q8 (though comes up in Ch8 see S10 Q10 and Ch9 see A10 Q10, A06 Q10)
    Ch7 Sum of compound Poissons A04 Q4, S02 Q3
    Ch8 indiv risk - last proof is A03 Q9 (S04 Q9, S03 Q2 were using) and you could do A10 Q4 an individual risk way.
    Ch9 Upper and lower bounds S10 Q8, S02 Q5
    Ch12 AR(1) recursive S09 Q1, A97 Q12

Hope this helps.

6. kika258

kika258 Member

Is the list of proofs for CT6 still applicable please?

7. nad07

nad07 Member

Is the list of proofs for CT6 still applicable please?

8. John Lee

Just download the document in my previous post on this thread.