Should I be able to link exam questions to core reading?

Discussion in 'CA1' started by henryshli, Apr 16, 2009.

1. henryshli

henryshli Member

I'm wondering if anyone has the same problem.....

I have a problem relating some exam questions (usually the bigger ones) to the core reading. This is even after reading the examiners' report.

Are these questions simply there to test common sense? If so how would I differentiate myself with someone who hasn't read the course?

2. fischer

fischer Member

I agree to an extent.
    I am using ASET as they give a brief on which parts of the syllabus a particular question is testing.
    For most of the bigger questions, the answers usually start with some bullet points from the core reading. The remaining part of the answer then explains each of the bullet points generating more points in the process.
    So, I think to get a start we would need the core reading.
    Then there's also using the parts of the question well.

But I agree that there is alot of common sense that is required to build up the answer from the core reading. I have done past papers but I am still not very confident with these questions.

Good luck.

3. Aset

I am not using ASET for previous years' papers and I am using the examiners reports instead.I do not find the examiners reports much helpful as they hardly contain anything from core material. Am I really losing something by not using ASET? I'll appreciate anyone's view.

Fischer..you may be best person to comment.

4. fischer

fischer Member

Oh no - not really. Apologies if I gave that impression.

ASET tends to go into alot of detail. In fact it states that we need not write as much as is in the ASET soutions (it would be impossible under exam conditions anyway).

The difference according to me is that ASET does two things:
    a) The solutions in ASET are also better set out with a brief explanation before the more tricky questions. It also tells you which bits of core reading/ chapters are being tested

b) It goes on to explain some of the points that are in the solution. Not sure if the additional explanation generates any more marks (cannot get more than the marks allocated!).

So no real difference and nothing missed by going for one over the other.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
  5. Thanks Fischer for the prompt response.
    I was scared for a moment and regretted that I should have bought ASET.
    But settled now:)

6. henryshli

henryshli Member

Thank you for your comments.

I think it's good that ASET relates the question to the core reading and go from there. This is very good because it provides a structure/ thinking process for these types of questions. Unfortunately I haven't got ASET!

Ok so I should always be able to relate the question to the relevant core reading first which is what I'm failing to do at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
  7. fischer

fischer Member

Yes - in most cases you should. I too am struggling with identifying the relevant parts of the core reading some Q's are testing (and it's my 2nd attempt at CA1!!!). I have done the last 4 years' past papers but don't think I have got the hang of some of these questions. I am expecting to struggle with this in the exam too.

Hope things go well for us. Good luck.