Shorthands in exam?

Discussion in 'SP1' started by Phani Vasantarao, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Phani Vasantarao

Phani Vasantarao Very Active Member

Since most of the questions we write in this exam are essay type, and there is an expectation of neatness of handwriting in addition to the challenges of thinking, structuring and putting down relevant points, I have gotten in the habit of using shorthands when doing practice papers. For example, I might write "u/w" for underwriting. Is it standard practice and/or at all acceptable to do this in an exam, as long as you provide a list of shortands at the end of the paper, or each question?

2. bystander

bystander Member

I would say if you want to do this do it as you go along - don't even wait to the end of the question. So the first time you use say underwriting write underwriting (u/w).
    The thing is however you write, you need to make an examiners life as easy as possible. They don't want to hunt for a 'glossary'.
    Is it solely neatness or speed you are trying to achieve? If it's neatness have you thought of writing key words in CAPITALS. They are typically neat and stand out which can also help you to see what key things you've already said this avoiding repetition. Finally keep sentences short so ideas don't merge together. It's not a test of English. Be succinct.