September 2021 Q1 iii)

Discussion in 'SA4' started by dominic, Aug 11, 2023.

1. dominic

dominic Member

Hi there,

In regards to outlining advantages and disadvantages to trustees of moving to a self-sufficiency strategy:

I understood that a disadvantage to a self-sufficient strategy is that it is difficult to treat different generations of members fairly. Since any experience gains (losses) may lead to higher (lower) benefits for later generations of members.

However, I do not see this point in the marking schedule. Is there a reason why?

Many thanks!

Dominic

2. Gresham Arnold

Gresham Arnold ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Dominic

I think that inter-generational fairness between members is an issue that needs to be considered in many DB pensions schemes, whether the funding strategy is, for example, a prudent ongoing basis or a self-sufficiency approach. Eg it is an issue when allocating surplus.

However, it becomes more important as a scheme approaches the end of its life, because the number of members are decreasing, experience may become relatively more volatile and the sponsor may be reluctant to pay further contributions into the scheme and may not be able to get back any scheme surplus easily. So, for example:
    • if a really prudent funding approach has previously been used, there might be a lots of assets left and very few members, and so they may get very large discretionary increases
    • if a much less prudent approach has been used and there is then some poor experience, the scheme may run out of money before the last few members die.
    This exam question is about a scheme changing to a different strategy and the pros and cons of each. I think the trustees are probably already having to be careful about inter-generational fairness and this won't become a bigger issue for some years (eg we don't actually know that this scheme is closed to new entrants). As such, I suspect that other issues may be considered to be more important and hence inter-generational fairness isn't covered in the Examiners' Report.

I hope that helps
    Gresham

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  3. dominic

dominic Member

Hi Gresham,
    Yes that helps.
    Many thanks
    Dominic