September 2018 Q4 iv)

Discussion in 'CM2' started by DMF, Apr 14, 2021.

1. DMF

DMF Member

Hi,

In part ii) of this exam question you're asked to calculate the standard deviation on £100 invested in Stock A and Stock B (each with their own parameter values). In Part iii, we're told the investor invests £50 in each stock. Part iv) then asks for the standard deviation of the portfolio. Which relies on the standard formula: Var = Xa^2 * Var(A) + Xb^2 * Var(B) + 2* Correlation * Xa * Xb * SD(A) * SD(B).

When looking at the solution the variance figures used in the solution to (iv) are those that were calculated in part (ii) and relate to an investment of £100. The standard deviation figures using £50 are much lower than those calculated in ii). However, given iii and the commentary question in part v - I would have thought that the portfolio value would be £100 not £200. So, I am wondering why the solution uses the figures calculated from ii) and not revised figures based on £50? What am I missing?

Thanks,

2. Steve Hales

Steve Hales ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi
    I see what you mean. But in the solution to part (iv) we have:
    \(
    V[P_3] = 0.5^2 V[A_3] + 0.5^2 V[B_3] + 2\rho 0.5\times 0.5\times SD[A_3] \times SD[B_3]
    \)
    All of those "\(0.5\)'s" represent the proportions of the portfolio invested in each of the securities. So even though the figures for \(SD[A_3]\) and \(SD[B_3]\) are used from part (ii), they're reduced by 50% in part (iv).
    Hope that helps.