September 2012

Discussion in 'CT5' started by RaViShankar, Oct 7, 2012.

1. RaViShankar

RaViShankar Member

I think we now allowed to post, what do people think of this exam? I think it was too long with some weird questions.

Question 10 was hard for me though, with average of 2 years salary and we were told to use the tables that are based on average of 3 years salary?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2012
  2. mmmmmm

mmmmmm Member

Definitely agree some weird questions! I am not confident at all about the result. Although I wrote a lot down it was very messy as the weird questions confused me and I then realised right at the end I made a lot of numerical and silly mistakes on some of the questions which should have been "easy marks".

Oh well you never know!

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

The paper was so painfully straightforward with just a few curveballs, but with 'bystander's' audit trail it was possible to still a little credit here and there.

I am really scared that I may have gotten carried away and MAYBE made mistakes, I was done with 20 minutes to spare. :confused: :confused:

And looking at the paper again, I think the pass MARK is going to very HIGH. Fingers crossed, really worried, it was my first time getting a paper I think was very doable, so I hope I wasn't 'reading and writing nonsense'.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  4. Epsilon7

Epsilon7 Keen member

exam

I personally found the paper extremely long and I can`t understand how you can finish the paper and have 20 min to spare.

Some questions were definitely weird ,specially the pension question and the profit testing question ( the one before the last). Anyway I`m not too sure about my results.

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

I wrote what I HOPE is right, there is no guarantee that my answers are right. In CT5 for a question you find difficult, don't worry about a complete answer, focus on the parts of the question you understand and put them down. For example question 10 was tricky but you can't get a zero.

I spent the 20 minutes 'trying' to go through the work and check, but couldn't do it well because of overconfidence. Speed has always been my strength in exams because of exam condition practice.

But I'm scared I may have been carried away and MAYBE not read questions properly, or have too many calculation errors. I hope I did enough to pass.

6. manish.rex

manish.rex Member

Accuracy is generally an issue in CT 5 due to an overhelming amount of calculations involved. However , if the steps in solution were correct and logical, you should be given credit.

However, overlooking key information in the questions is serious(the questions may be non-standard) and your answers may be compromised

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

I meant if you feel you don't know what the examiner wants but you feel you know the parts, put the parts down. e.g calculating values of assurances and annuities will get you marks even if you don't know how to put them together. Not if you overlook key information, overlooking information is unpardonable and it is what I am afraid I 'MAY' have done due to excitement.

I do this because I naturally want to discount my chances of having passed.

8. manish.rex

manish.rex Member

Went through the October 2 Paper....though it is lengthy, it is preety easy...almost all the questions were doable if you understand the concepts and have practised the question banks/assignment as well as past papers.No surprises or out of the box questions.Expect a very high cut-off for this exam.

9. Edwin

Edwin Member

BINGO, however, you are discounting my probability of passing, which I had already done (I had already written);-

10. scaron

scaron Member

Edwin, whenever I read your posts I think that you will make such a splendid actuary. Have you tried to get a mention in The Actuary mag in the "actuary of the future section". You have my vote for inclusion!

"Life is Normal"

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

Thanks, but probably more about my delivery and choice of words.