September 2011 Q1

Discussion in 'CT7' started by maz1987, Mar 19, 2012.

1. maz1987

maz1987 Member

What is the combined effect of an increase in the cost of production and a rise in consumer income on the equilibrium price and quantity of a normal good?

A The effect on price is indeterminate but quantity will fall.
    B The effect on price is indeterminate but quantity will rise.
    C The effect on quantity is indeterminate but price will rise.
    D The effect on quantity is indeterminate but price will fall.

Can someone explain why the answer is C? I would have thought that they are both indeterminate.

A rise in income means the demand curve for a normal good shifts to the right. Without a change in price, the demand will increase.

However, how do we know how the firm will react to an increase in the cost of production? Will a firm automatically increase price as cost of production increases? I understand that if this is the case then equilibrium quantity is interderminate, but I would have thought that equilibrium price is indeterminate as well. If production costs raise by 1p, will price raise too? Surely not.

Thanks

2. jm_kinuthia

jm_kinuthia Member

The reason why the answer is C is because when the income inreases, consumers may or may not spend more on purchases hence the the change in quantity is indeterminate.

The increase in price is ofcourse as a result of the increase in cost. Producers will definitely increase price to cover the increase in costs.

Hope that answers you !

3. maz1987

maz1987 Member

Isn't the definition of a normal good that its demand increases as income increases?

I didn't realise that an increase in production costs always gives rise to an increase in price.

Thanks

4. didster

didster Member

Yes, higher income shifts demand curve to the right/up.
    Higher production costs shifts the supply curve to the left/up. Basically less profit at each price point so inclined to produce less at a particular price.

Equilibrium price is where the two curves meet. Since both curves move up, there is definitely a higher price but whether the quantity moves left or right depends on the relative sizes of the moves in demand/supply

5. maz1987

maz1987 Member

Makes sense. Thanks.