September 2006

Discussion in 'CT6' started by Little Miss Actuary, Sep 5, 2006.

1. So... what did everyone think? I don't think I did too great :eek: The last question (19 marks) was easy, but the NCD question was weird and quite a few of the shorter questions confused me so I couldn't finish them :confused:

2. Rosencruz

Rosencruz Member

NCD question was wierd, and I wasted lots of time on it. However I think I got it roughly right. I think you needed to use the Chi-squared distribution, we was a bit odd.
    The last question was nice, but I didn't finish the bit in the middle, where you had to derive the (100+M)e^-M/50 bit.
    I know I made mistakes e.g. on scaled deviance, but I think I did well enough on everything to pass.
    Annoying that there wasn't really anything on Timeseries, as I spent a lot of effort studying them.
    Wishing you all well on the results :)

3. M1ke

M1ke Member

Well I think I did question 1 right...but thats about it!

Seriously though I thought the NCD question was tough and spent so long trying to figure it out I ran out of time for some of the other parts. I thought it was slughtly harder than the past papers I tried.

I'll be amazed if I dont have to re sit this one :mad:

4. Yeah, 2 chapters on it and they ask one 4 mark questions that had more to do with Markov really.

5. Louisa

Louisa Member

Agree the NCD question was odd. The sort of question where I can almost guarantee I interpreted the givens wrong in some way.
    Apart from that the paper had rather more theory than I was expecting. Was okay.
    Hopefully that's exorcised it so I can start thinking about something else. Fingers crossed for us all...

6. hi5

hi5 Member

My first impressions a hard paper; i'd say. I did not feel confident.

7. nish44

nish44 Member

Chi-Squared distribution!!!! Why? How? Im thinkin I did worse on this paper than I originally thought.

There were lots of 'non-standard' questions on the paper again, same as the April sitting (makes sense I guess as it is the same author - I think).

Anyway. Good luck folks.

8. Rosencruz

Rosencruz Member

My thinking is that the sum of two exponential distributions is a Gamma(2,l) distribution, but that the CDF doesn't exist for this, so you need to transform it to a Chi-Squared distribution.
    Alternatively you could produce the convolution (Which is probably what they wanted you to do), however this would just result in the Gamma distribution anyway...

However I may well be wrong...

9. Muppet06

Muppet06 Member

All sounds far too confusing...what happened to the relatively straight-forward marks from proving a series was stationary, and then giving you 5 marks for calculating autocollerations / autocovariances!

10. Wannabe :)

Wannabe :) Member

I know the genaral feeling from everybody coming out of my exam hall was holy cr*p, what the hell was that !! So I have resigned myself to the fact I will be repeating it in April. I only hope that this "Author" has decided to take next year off :)