september 2001

Discussion in 'CT3' started by Neetu Verma, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Neetu Verma

Neetu Verma Member

September 2001
    1)- Q no.1,
    Please tell me ,where I make mistake
    x f cf
    0 14 14
    1 25 39
    2 26 65
    3 18 85
    4 12 95
    5 5 100
    median=50.5th observation
    =1+(50.5-39)(2-1)/(65-39)
    =1.44

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2008
  2. Michael

Michael Member

Hi Neetu,

In question 1, you are right that the median is the 50.5th observation. The frequency distribution tells us that observations 40 through 65 are all equal to 2. Both the 50th and the 51st observation are 2, so the 50.5th observation is the average of these two, which is also 2.

I am having trouble finding the questions that you're having difficulty with - are you getting these questions from the back of the revision books? If so, it would be helpful to mention which booklet they are from, so that people know where to look to help you.

3. Neetu Verma

Neetu Verma Member

Sir,
    I am allready mention all question contain past question paper september 2001
    Thanks for this help Sir,Please tell me,Why answer is differ when we use interpolation .

4. Michael

Michael Member

You would use interpolation if the frequencies were banded - eg you know that there are 10 observations between 0 and 10, but you don't know exactly what the values are. Because we don't know exactly, we would assume that the observations are evenly spaced out throughout the band, so we would interpolate.

In this question we are looking at discrete data - the number of claims on policies. We know exactly how many policies we have for each number of claims, so it doesn't make sense to interpolate.

I asked about where the question came from, because I don't have any of the exams before 2005. I have the ActEd revision booklets, each of which has some of the questions from the old exams. If you have the old exams, that's fine - I know you're studying through the Indian institute, so you might have different study material to me. Just thought you might be getting the questions from the revision booklets as well, and could tell me which booklet they came from.

By the way, you really don't need to call me Sir, I'm just another student too. :)