sept05 Q2 (iv)

Discussion in 'SA3' started by TiredOfExams, Sep 27, 2007.

1. TiredOfExams

TiredOfExams Member

Hi,

I think this is a simple Reinsurance pricing question but I don't understand how to do it.

Anyone?

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

We couldn't understand what was going on here either (neither in the question nor the solution...).

A number of students have raised this query - I have passed it on to the examiners, and they have said they'll get back to me when they've worked out what's going on. They need to contact the original question-writer. I'll post something here when I receive a reply. But it won't be before Monday...!

3. Ian Senator

OK - here's the explanation from the Profession:

The question is not worded very well.
    It was meant to say that the premium for the basic XL contract is 25% of £1m. The premium for the RPP contract (which pays out the XL premium in the same circumstances) is thus 25% of 25% of £1m. Net this down for expenses and you get the risk premium.

Thankfully it's only a small part of the question so I hope it wouldn't have influenced anyone's chances of passing.

4. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

i'm curious, i read the question, misunderstood, came up with a solution which is (theoretically) wrong and coincidentally got the right answer. :confused:

Would the markers have given me any marks (assuming markers didn't understand the question too well either)?

my calcs:
    RP: 250k *0.8 = 200k * 5 (for 4 free reinstatements) = £1m
    RPP: 200k (from above) + 750k (3 paid reinstatements) = £950k
    diff is £50k

5. Ian Senator

Who knows!

I'd have thought they'd have given marks for anything "reasonable", particularly as the question was a bit odd.