sept 2013 Q20

Discussion in 'CT5' started by kika258, Mar 19, 2015.

1. kika258

kika258 Member

Can someone explain the formula used to find the independent rates? I applied the formula found in the notes, by first finding mu and then using the formula q = 1 - e(-mu) but i don't get the same answer.

Please help.

2. kika258

kika258 Member

i have tried to solve the question by using the formulae:

q_x = 1-exp(-mu) for deaths

and then use t_(aq)_x = mu/(mu+sigma)(1+exp(-t(mu+sigma)))

my question is this. what is the formula to link the dependent and independent rates without going through the force of mortality?

I am going through the answers, but i can't figure out how he got the denominator in the formula to find q_85_d. (3rd line)

Have I missed a section in the notes? :(

3. Mark Mitchell

Mark Mitchell Member

The section on dependent and independent probabilities has been completely rewritten for this year's exams.

If you're looking at old exam paper solutions published on the IFoA's website, these will be based on the "old" approach, so you won't get the same answers.

The solutions published in ActEd materials (eg ASET, Revision Notes) have been updated accordingly in line with the new method.

4. kika258

kika258 Member

oh! So the questions on dependent and independent probabilities are no longer applicable?

I am using the IFoA answers... no wonder I'm totally confused!

Probably i'm now late to get the ASET in time for the april exam :(

5. Mark Mitchell

Mark Mitchell Member

Well, you could still get questions on that topic, but they should be based on the current Core Reading, rather than the old Core Reading. So, the questions might be similar, but the method of solution will be different.

6. kika258

kika258 Member

sure i got that... thanks

7. So glad I wasn't the only one struggling on this question!

I think Q10.16 in the notes is the same idea done with the new method.