Sept 2012

Discussion in 'CT6' started by OzActuary, Oct 8, 2012.

1. OzActuary

OzActuary Member

What did people think of this exam??

I found ~70% of the paper fine but the last 2 questions completely threw me!! I reckon I might have gotten 2/3 marks from the last 2 questions!! So hoping that I did REALLY well in the rest of the paper but wouldn't be overly confident about passing (again!)!

2. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I thought that the time series question was kinda out of the box....I completed approx. half of it.

3. sb1987

sb1987 Member

hurrendous paper, question 1 was alright though, as was the chain-ladder question, smashed that bit.

4. Matto

Matto Member

I thought the first 8 questions were ok. Then got stuck on the time series question. I felt like I knew the topic before the exam, but really struggled with that particular question.

Question 10 was also hard. Probably pick up a couple of marks.

Considering the last two questions are are worth so many marks, it is going to be tough to pass.

5. 100% agree with SB1987 it was a really tough paper all round. The time series question was totally out of the box! I must have got a minimum of 11 marks or a maximum of 12 marks on that question.

6. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

how many marks was in total for this question? I remember there were four parts to it, right?

7. philltee

philltee Member

TIme series qu.

I was really annoyed at the time series question. Having spent a lot of time on this area, I was expecting to be able to answer anything they threw into this paper. But I couldn't even start that question!

Even after the exam, I went back to my notes, and still have no idea what the correct answer was. Can anyone enlighten me?

Rest of the exam was OK, but I think it is 50/50 whether I pass or not...

8. sb1987

sb1987 Member

3 parts, 14 marks.

9. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I guess the standard approach of yule walker did not apply....

10. Sorry guys realise that it wasn't Time Series and it was the Chain Ladder I was thinking of. Liked that question FTW.

11. sb1987

sb1987 Member

Easily done, chain ladder and time series use pretty similar methods...

12. I used to mistake them all the time during revision. Glad you did too SB1987!

13. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Tutor Review

Hi there

Just to let you know that I have created a short video on YouTube reviewing the CT6 paper if you would like to view it.

14. OzActuary

OzActuary Member

After looking at this video I reckon I got about 52-55 marks. I wonder if that will be enough to pass...

15. John Lee

Hmmm, possibly unlikely. The pass mark does move from year to year but that does seem a tad low. Sorry!

16. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

isn't the pass mark for CT6 between 50-55%?

17. sb1987

sb1987 Member

That's probably the pass rate

18. philltee

philltee Member

Qu 9 (time series question)

If the series is in effect an ARIMA model, with s = 3 (ie the third difference), then doesn't the first bracket need to be (1-B)^3? In the question it is (1-B^3), which was what threw me completely.

19. John Lee

They're applying seasonal differencing which is (1 - B^d) rather than the normal differencing for an ARIMA.

20. John Lee

Did you pass?

21. OzActuary

OzActuary Member

No I didn't I got an FB so was closer the previous sitting with an FA :(
    This will be my semester hopefully though - last 2 CTs - CT6 and CT7 so fingers crossed! :)