Sept 2006 Exam : Q8 v

Discussion in 'CT8' started by jensen, Mar 28, 2008.

1. jensen

jensen Member

Anyone actually get what the solution is doing? I find the notations overwhelming especially when it's not defined, as if we should know them.

2. John Potter

John Potter ActEd Tutor Staff Member

S06 Q8 (v)

Hi Jensen,

I think that this is the hardest CT8 question ever - part (v) should be worth much more than 10 marks in my opinion!

Draw a graph of the manager's fee versus S1 - this is called a position diagram and can help I think. I have drawn this and scanned to PDF, email me for a copy johnpotter@bpp.com.

If S < 100 then the manager's fee is 0.1% of S.
    When S >100 a call option kicks in for an extra 0.4%.
    But this extra call option has been pushed up by a rectangle (height 0.4) between 100 and infinity.
    When S > U another call option kicks in for an extra 0.5%.
    But this extra call option has been pushed up by a rectangle (height 0.005U) between U and infinity.

If you get a nightmare question like this, it is maybe a good idea to draw a position diagram like this, it may help you construct the right portfolio or even get you marks for just appearing to be thinking along the right lines - if I was marking a script with a diagram like this, I would be thinking that the student understood it and would be wanting to award marks where I could :)

Like I said though, even with this diagram and the right replicating portfolio, we still need to put the numbers in and find U - yuck! :-(

Having said all that, the pass rate on this exam was 61% :)

Good luck!
    John

3. jensen

jensen Member

Hi John

I initially guessed that I need two options to do this, but after looking at the hint suggesting the use of four options, I got confused.

I'll send you an email to get that diagram of yours; must be helpful since I like visuals :)

4. jensen

jensen Member

John

I looked at the diagram, but I still couldnt see how that relates to the suggested solution more like which part of the graph corresponds to which c in the solution. :)

geez, I dont know if I should be happy or sad if I see a question like this pop up.

5. Carolyn

Carolyn Member

should i panic that i have no idea what I would do here if this wa sin my exam?!?

6. jensen

jensen Member

exactly my thoughts. It'll be a good problem to solve, outside the exams and in our sweet time. :p

UPDATE: Due to many subsequent request for the diagram, I have attached it here.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012