Separate parameters worksheet

Discussion in 'CP2' started by Batsirai Kapembeza, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Hello,

Is it necessary to include a separate parameters worksheet or you can just put parameters on each worksheet as you use them and highlight in the audit trail that ,"input cells are shown in blue" or whatever colour you prefer and you highlight the parameters? I'm finding it easier not to have a parameters worksheet so I just wanted to confirm. Thanks.

2. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

Hi,
    It is best practice to keep all the parameters that you use in a single worksheet labelled "Parameters". This would help future users of the model to know what are the parameters that flow within your model and if changes need to be made.
    I note this is also in line with the CP2 Guide, Page 10:

The following principles should be followed in building any computer model and should be demonstrated in the exam assignment:
    • Adopt an approach that is as simple as possible.
    • Ensure the model is easy to change.
    • Make constants explicit as parameters rather than hard code them into formulae.
    • Separate inputs, calculations and results.
    • Structure a spreadsheet so that it can be read from left to right and from top to bottom.
    • Keep all formulae as simple as possible – the calculations do not need to be performed in one formula and intermediate calculations can facilitate checking.
    • In spreadsheets, avoid changes in cell formulae along rows/down columns. If this is not practical, make sure the changes are clearly flagged to other users who may have to make amendments.
    • Avoid manual intervention wherever possible and try to ensure that the final result is updated whenever a change is made. If this is not possible, ensure that other users know what manual intervention is required and when.

Hope this helps.

Lucy England likes this.
  3. Thanks. Much appreciated.