Sep 2006 Q20 Ratio

Discussion in 'CT2' started by littlesan, Apr 21, 2009.

1. littlesan

littlesan Member

Hi its me again

I'm having trouble in calculating the following ratios for the questions..could someone please give me the guidance?

Earnings per share 26.7
    return on equity
    return on investment
    stock turnover

I follow the equations but i couldn't get the answer

THanks!

2. Annie

Annie Member

According to ASET, you need to construct the income statement and balance sheet first using the information given in the question first, then calculate the ratios.
    From the income statement, you can get 92000 profit after tax for 2004, then minus the preference share dividend payment 12000 and divide the total shares number: (92000-12000)/300000=26.67p

Hope this helps:)

3. Shah Kamal

Shah Kamal Member

Yes, Annie is right. First we have to construct Income Statement, then Balance Sheet for two years. From the figures, one can easily analyse the ratios and measure the performance of the company.

Cheers!

4. kika258

kika258 Member

return on investments

Could anyone help me identify what to include as investments for the return on investments please?

5. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

For "return on investment" or "return on capital employed", we've got a choice of definition.

Let's say we go for the definition:
    net profit before tax and interest / (share capital & reserves + long-term debt)

Then for investments (doing the 2004 figures), we'd have:
    share capital = ordinary + prefernce = 300 + 150
    reserves = share premium + retained earnings = 10 + 250
    long-term debt = 200

The trickiest of these numbers is probably the 250, requires us to construct an income statement as it's not one we can pick to directly from the question.

Hope this helps
    Lynn