Selling old notes?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Gareth, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Gareth

Gareth Member

In the US it's commonplace to sell your old actuarial study notes. Is there any reason why the license for ActEd notes forbids this?

2. The main cost involved is the research that goes on to write a pack, not the paper and postage. With a large fixed cost the study material would have to be more expensive in the first place if you sold fewer units. ActEd could lose 2/3 of sales as each set of notes could probably be used 3 times. That would force the price of the pack up, which would encourage even more note-sharing.

When most people in the UK have an employer to pay for the study materials, is it really a big problem to have a new set of notes for each student? It keeps the prices down, allowing those who study independently to afford the basics.

3. Gareth

Gareth Member

Fair point, I guess it just seems like a waste passing on my notes to the rubbish bin.

4. Dha

Dha Member

Recycle them, don't them in the rubbish bin:mad:

5. examstudent

examstudent Member

keep them, you never know when youll need to refer to them!

6. Gareth

Gareth Member

I've never needed 101,102,103,104 in the last 5 years. Most of it I know or is in my revision notes...

Might make good material for my fireplace :)

7. examstudent

examstudent Member

ok suppose burn your notes as you know them all ( i wish my memory was as photiographic! lol)......
    but i bet wouldnt burn your hull book and baxter rennie book from ST6! lol

8. Gareth

Gareth Member

No no, I treasure and worship the great Hull. That + Baxter & Rennie are probably the only useful things the actuarial exams have taught me :)

9. My kitchen table would wobble dreadfully if it wasn't for CT4 notes...

10. At least if we all buy new notes then we get the lastest version.

11. Plus...the old notes might be handy in persuading the kids/grand kids to take up the exams. You can show them just what delights await them should they decide to go for it.

12. Meldemon

Meldemon Member

Moved countries a year ago and had to do the math: weight to cost ratio of flying notes as excess baggage v buying new sets for the subjects I haven't passed yet.

Answer - 2 sets of ST notes = 1 return flight to South Africa.

Decision - my new employer covers the cost of the study material. The notes went in the bin :D

13. bystander

bystander Member

The syllabus changes are that frequent that anything older than 6 months quickly becomes valueless. Maybe other coutries syllabus are more stable.
    Even if you could sell, I wouldn't risk it on the grounds that:
    a) getting caught => thrown out of the profession/job as worst case scenario
    b) I annotate them so much they'd annoy any other reader and who'se to say my extras are actually right!