SAS and SQL

Discussion in 'Careers' started by uktous, Feb 12, 2011.

1. uktous

uktous Member

Hi,

I would like to gain some programming skills.

Are SAS and SQL helpful in the actuarial industry?

Thanks

2. capitalH

capitalH Member

More information required:

Why do you want to learn programming?
    What industry/sector are you working in? Different industries have different tools that they use, and with good reason in some cases.
    What is your prior experience?
    Is this for work or for yourself? SAS can be pretty expensive if you have to pay the license yourself.

P.S.
    SQL is a database a language and fairly limited for "programming" - though important to get data out. Data formats and databases can vary a lot across organisations - this would be one area where you would get help from the IT people at the organisation and won't be left on your own.

3. bystander

bystander Member

Yes. An ability to program is attractive to actuarial employers. It can be SAS/SQL or other things like the ability to write macros in Excel. Many cos offer introductory/intermediate courses to assist but knowing the basics can give you a head start.

You don't want to over-emphasise your programming though as your mathematical/analytical skills are just as important.

You find as your career progresses you use the programming less, but in your early career it can be used more.

Another cautionary note is that employers need you to have clear audit trails, be able to document code so others can follow it afterwards and make changes as needed. So if you are a real whizz kid on programs, bear this in mind.

4. uktous

uktous Member

I am a fresh graduate with no experience in the actuarial field.
    I want to work in the life sector