same question, different answers ?

Discussion in 'SP4' started by AAStuck, Mar 30, 2008.

1. AAStuck

AAStuck Member

I have come across 2 questions that appear similar, but the answers in the examiners report are very different.

April 2007 question 4 is very similar to Sept 2005 question 5. The 2007 question has an additional part, in that it is asking about the DB scheme closure (hence worth 2 extra marks), but other than that I would give the same answer to both.

However, if you look at the examiners report, the 2007 answer is very different to 2005. Can anyone shed some light on this please ?

Also, I am relying on the examiners report for guidance on the ideas and points I should be coming up with. I understand that these reports are not the actual marking schedules used, but how far off are they ?

Thanks

2. Hello AAStuck

Looking at the 2 questions you mention I agree that, on first glance, the answers in the examiners report look very different.

However, on closer inspection you can see that both the answers cover the same main areas relating to DC scheme design/implementation (ie the aims/objectives/needs of various interested parties, investment, contributions, targeting, state benefits, death/ill-health benefits, admin/communications/other practicalities etc).

The individual points are not expressed in exactly the same manner but both answers are equally valid.

The examiners report is clearly a very good resource in terms of guidance on the ideas and points you should be coming up with. The marking schedule will be similar but will also give scope for marks to be awarded for other relevant points that some candidates will make which are not included in the 'model' solutions.