SA7 and SP5

Discussion in 'SA7' started by Ace123, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Ace123

Ace123 Member

Hi Guys,

Just trying to get some thoughts on the best combination to do in April. I have previously passed ST4, and have decided to sit SP5 in April.
    My question is now - would there be much additional work to sit SA7 along side it, given that most of SA7 builds off the back of SP5?

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi, This is a tricky question because SA7 is a new subject and could turn out to be examined differently. But assuming that SA7 turns out to be quite like SA6, with a little bit of SA5 material thrown in, the lion's share of the knowledge will be from students' experience and knowledge of the investment industry. There will be bookwork and bookwork application, which means that the SA7 notes will need to be read and absorbed, just like any course. (The SA7 notes are considerably shorter than those of SP5) But if you work in the investment consulting industry, or the ALM / trustee advice industry, or even the LDI / structured product industry, you may have a lot of what is required in your head already. In this case, the additional work for SA7 will not DOUBLE the effort required. But it will still be a good bit harder than just sitting SP5 on its own.
    At the end of the day it is up to you in terms of what you can manage. SP5 is certainly core knowledge for SA7, and I wouldnt advise doing SA7 without having SP5 in the bag or sitting it at the same time. I hope this helps.

3. Ace123

Ace123 Member

Thanks for the above, just quick one thought, if SA6 previously build on ST6, then why wouldn't SA7 also build on SP6?

The institute's website states

4. Colin McKee

SA6 never built on SP6. SP6 was always a stand-alone subject that was popular with mathematical students, but wasnt core material for either SA6 or SA5. For both of those subjects you needed ST5 (now SP5). That will remain the case.

5. Ace123

Ace123 Member

Just wondering how many chapters are in the SA7 course?

6. Colin McKee

14, but one is an introduction which is light on core reading, and the last is "problem solving" which is about the technique of tackling SA-style questions. So possibly 12 if you view it that way.

Ace123 likes this.