SA5 difficulty over the years

Discussion in 'SA5' started by Mesut, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Mesut

Mesut Member

Does anyone else find the level of difficulty of rhis subject has been increasing over the sittings?

2. FloWesh

FloWesh Member

Yes, sorry.
    If it's any consolation, the same is happening with SA2.

3. Mesut

Mesut Member

Good to know I'm not the only one seeing this. It would seem the days when all a good student needed to know was core reading to guarantee a pass are long gone!

4. Jamjam1729

Jamjam1729 Member

Are we now allowed to discuss this sitting just gone? Or are some students still sitting it?

5. Bidza

Bidza Member

I saw flames this sitting. I feel as if it's becoming the new SA6.

6. Jamjam1729

Jamjam1729 Member

Certainly I'd be interested to hear Colin's take on this exam. Have ActEd tutors seen the papers yet? I really don't know how these things work :)

7. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes - we have seen the papers. On inspection, I agree that it was a tough paper. Very little bookwork, and not much "application of knowledge from the course".

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  8. Jamjam1729

Jamjam1729 Member

I found the paper very challenging in real time. There were at least two question components that I'm 99.9% aren't in or alluded to in the Core Reading at all, though thankfully only for a mark each. The first two questions were very strange and the whole paper felt like a weird ST5/CA1/CT2/CT7 mashup rather than an SA5 paper. I know they can and do draw on those subjects, but I've never seen them do it to such an extent.

There were some OK sections but not many. I also suspect question three will prove extremely divisive. I didn't mind it so much though I thought 3)ii)b) was difficult. I have since realised what the question was getting at, but didn't in the exam and I tip my hat to anyone who did!

9. Bidza

Bidza Member

I managed to pass it in the end. Thanks guys and all the tutors for the posts and replies