SA4 Sep 2018 Results

Discussion in 'SA4' started by Luckcounts, Dec 18, 2018.

?

Do you feel Sep2018 SA4 marking is fair?

Poll closed Mar 18, 2019.
  1. Yes

46.2%
  2. No

53.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almost_there

almost_there Member

Then they should be checking thousands every session- it's their job & not student's fault, who's already paid very good money to sit the thing. What kind of an excuse is it they don't handle a complaint properly because they get so many of them and it would take them time. I've seen these kind of excuses shared by you on this thread deployed by IFoA many times e.g. they only have 160 staff to deal with 30,000 members blah blah blah. How on earth do they think other organisations manage it, such as insurance companies where actuaries work, who have way more customers to deal with.

Infinity likes this.
  2. almost_there

almost_there Member

That's a great idea. I think with FRC being shut down and replaced by PRA to provide oversight to IFoA, this is something members could lobby the Government for.

3. student1990

student1990 Member

Thanks for posting the extra info - it's very interesting and I can see why you are frustrated.

I personally think there are two issues here.
    1. how reliable is the marking
    2. should you have passed?

Impossible for anyone without your script and the marking schedule in front of them to answer the second one. But they need to sort out the first one. Differences in 1st and 2nd marking is bound to happen some times but for you to see >9% all five times really doesn't help with trust and credibility.

I'd be more frustrated about one of your previous SA4 attempts than this one when you scored >60% by one marker. Although it's possible that one marker is scoring too high and one marker too low - for you to see it 5 times out of 5 is really tough. Although it's easy to blame the marker, I suspect the issue really lies with the examiners, the exam questions and the marking schedules. They need to be made less subjective so that it's easier for the markers to be consistent.

I don't think you should appeal this time given the marks you've shared. But I do think you should share your table with the IFoA - as it's really good evidence of a problem that could and should be solved.

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

He's brought this to them for 2.5 years and they've done nothing.

Infinity likes this.
  5. Luckcounts

Luckcounts Member

Well good to see majority is voting in favour of “fair marking,” when I started this thread I had no documentary evidence to prove otherwise so I used the word “feel.”

Now I have documentary evidence that the marking is not fair. Many out there would claim my final marks have been “reviewed.” To those who are not aware of the “review” this is not independent review, and most of the time it is averaging the other 2 marks, e.g. in total out of 12 parts of the questions I answered, the “reviewer” awarded me average marks on 7 occasion. Do you think this is independent review?

Are we allowed such a “review” in our actuarial profession?

I have suggested to IFoA in the past if they have firm believe in their practices, let it be exemplary for the actuarial world and allow it in the actuarial professional work.

On this occasion “reviewer” awarded 26% lower than marker 1.

For argument sake let’s assume this “review” is perfect. What about the ability of the marker who has 26% marking difference than what the “expert reviewer” thinks I shall be getting?

Is this 26% marking difference significant?

If so what about all the scripts this marker has marked?

As per student handbook this marker may have marked between 60 to 240 scripts. 153 appeared for Sep 2018 exam. This means the examiner making 26% error marked between 40% to 100% of the scripts.

If IFoA really think they care for the marking system and one of the markers has made 26% errors, shall they not be reviewing all the scripts this marker marked?

The point I have been trying to put across to IFoA is they do not care about marking, and rely on the game of luck.

Another query IFoA has failed to respond is following the marking schedule. All markers suppose to follow a marking schedule, if they follow the marking schedule such a big differences (as shown in the table in my previous post) shall not arise in the first place?

So all those voting in favour of “fair marking” I would encourage them to bring some strong evidence to prove their claim or review their voting.

Good luck

Infinity likes this.
  6. Luckcounts

Luckcounts Member

Ha Ha
    What an independent forum, independent marking and independent review they have removed my evidence from the forum?

Infinity likes this.
  7. Luckcounts

Luckcounts Member

Well all the evidence has been removed.
    Appeal, this is a laugh, I appealed when I scored 74, and it was unsuccessful.
    Well this time 53 is above pass mark 51 but I am not wasting my money on appeal.

8. student1990

student1990 Member

I don't understand - what else have you posted that's been deleted? Your table is still there.

9. almost_there

almost_there Member

That's scary. In my view this situation does require a serious investigation beyond your particular attempt. Pass rate only 29.4% too.

Quite. Actuaries actually have to disclose their own processes, assumptions, calc methods, documentation etc. and justify them. I ask why we tolerate IFoA in our lives who aren't subject to the same scrutiny. I like the idea of actuaries asking for IFoA education to be given oversight from a proper education board.

Luckcounts likes this.
  10. DeliAli

DeliAli Member

I think there's something strange going on too. SA3 has the same issue with rogue markers not following the same marking scheme too. The best we can hope is that something will be done to improve the processes in 2019 sadly. The discrepancies are huge.

Infinity and Luckcounts like this.
  11. almost_there

almost_there Member

With the FRC being dumped as IFoA's oversight body then I'd say the time is now for people to get together and do something.

The best hope for anything to change at IFoA is for it to be forced on them externally. They simply fob off complaints from members.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2018
    Luckcounts likes this.
  12. arpitajetha

arpitajetha Member

I could not understand your point of discussion.

You appeared ST4 and SA4 both and you scored 74 in ST4 and passed ST4
    and failed SA4 so how much you scored in SA4?
    you can ask question wise marks from IFoA, they will give you marks from both markers and how are you producing these all information?

13. Dom B

Dom B Member

The quality of marking by the IFoA is absolutely appalling. These exams are just a lottery.

Infinity and almost_there like this.
  14. almost_there

almost_there Member

Infinity likes this.
  15. Luckcounts

Luckcounts Member

I think you have not read it properly, When I scored 74 in ST4, I failed that ST4 the marks are from my SAR as you suggested

16. almost_there

almost_there Member

Why is luckcount's table extremely small for people who aren't logged in to view?

Infinity likes this.
  17. KevinB

KevinB Member

I see from the examiners report the pass mark for SA4 was actually 51 but they scaled it to 55, what is the point of doing this? Is there a policy not to quote a pass mark below 55%

Infinity likes this.
  18. Luckcounts

Luckcounts Member

Well there is a policy to mark it wrongly/roughly so that students feel they did not do well, then scale the messed up marks up to show examiners are generous and sympathetic. Scaling up is a carpet to hide the mess.

Infinity likes this.
  19. Infinity

Infinity Member

Please email to the FRC. They are supposedly the oversight body of the IFoA. The more people that contact them the better. At the moment they’re doing nothing

Luckcounts likes this.
  20. Infinity

Infinity Member

I contacted several bodies such as the OIA. They’re not interested in the IFoA. The BEIS says the IFoA falls in the cracks of regulation

Luckcounts likes this.
  21. Infinity

Infinity Member

Google CMA and university of East Anglia. As well as the FRC you should contact the CMA. They need more complaints to get the ball rolling. You should be able to find some documentation on the consumer act relating to higher education providers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2019
    Luckcounts likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.