SA3 without relevant experience

Discussion in 'SA3' started by Shama, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Shama

Shama Member

I have spent 5 years in a life insurance company and recently moved to P&C role. I have all exams except SA. For ST it is St2 and ST9.
    Will SA3 be very difficult to pass? How important is the relevant work experience?

2. Infinity

Infinity Member

I assume from your message which is rather unclear that you have ST2 and ST9. ST7 and ST8 have an awful lot of material sometimes comes up in SA3. So I think that with no experience in GI and not even having ST7 and ST8, it would be quite a silly idea. Better off taking an exam in an area you are comfortable with. It doesn’t matter to your employer if you have taken the GI fellowship or another. Im struggling to see how people seem to get to this stage so easily nowadays. Did you also have significant exemptions from university?

3. Shama

Shama Member

No, I have passed all individual exams from IFoA. My reason for sitting for SA3 is not the employer. I want to do it because I think I want to be a GI actuary in long term.

4. Infinity

Infinity Member

And you think one GI exam is going to help with that?

Where are you based?

5. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

Shama

You don’t need to convince others or justify yourself to anyone :).

I am aware of at least one person who passed the GI SA without having done the GI STs. However, I do think not having done the preceding STs makes things arguably more difficult. There’s nothing to stop you sitting a more familiar SA and reading around the GI topics in your spare time (after you pass :)).

Shama likes this.
  6. Infinity

Infinity Member

I’ve taken SA3 several times. I’ve taken ST7, ST8 and even ST3. I also have several years of work experience in GI. I would not take SA3 without ST7 and ST8. The exams build on each other and you are likely to require things from ST7 and ST8 and even CT6 or whatever it is called now in the SA3 exam. So whilst mugono might know of one person that has passed SA3 without ST7 and ST8, I can tell you first hand that it is not a good idea

Calm likes this.