SA3 with only one of ST8 and ST9

Discussion in 'SA3' started by jjjkkk, Jan 25, 2014.

1. jjjkkk

jjjkkk Member

Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide what STs to sit in the September sititng. I've decided that I want to complete the CERA qualification as well as sitting SA3. From those of you who've sat SA3 already how necessary is the knowledge from ST7/8? Would I be making things ridiculously terrible for myself by attempting ST7/8 and ST9 and then sitting SA3 or would I be better off sitting the two GI STs and going back to sit ST9 after?

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

ST7/8 are required knowledge for SA3, and it'd be unwise to sit SA3 without having at least studied (if not passed) them - although this could be done at the same time as studying for SA3.

Having said that, I do have students that do ST9 instead (or aswell as) at times. Personally I'd recommend doing ST9 after qualifying, when you can take it a bit more leisurely. We get quite a few qualified actuaries on our ST9 tutorials!

3. td290

td290 Member

I would go as far as to say that, for a great many questions asked at SA3, the ST7/8 material seems far more relevant than the SA3 material. So the ideal time to take SA3 is when the STs are fresh in your mind.