SA3 study advice

Discussion in 'SA3' started by entact, Jun 29, 2015.

1. entact

entact Member

This is last exam and I'm struggling with the approach I should follow to studying it.

I took a break in April so I'm only now beginning to study the subject but I really want to study efficiently as I don't have a huge amount of time before the October exam.

For the STs I generally learned off chunks of the core reading (which I hated doing) but it seemed to work for me and I passed both STs, each on a second attempt.

I just want some guidance on the approach to follow. Should I just make notes on every section of every chapter or do I need to learn off chunks of core reading? I get the feeling that it depends on the chapter and the section within the chapter. Looking at some past exam papers it seems that in some cases, it was necessary to learn off all the core reading for a section. It would be brilliant to have a grid with guidance on this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Core Reading questions can come up in SA3. For example:
    • April 2014 had an APH question with a strong Core Reading focus
    • The first two parts of September 2014 Question 2 had 16 marks purely for the Core Reading on P&I clubs and tiered capital
    • April 2015 Question 1 had many Core Reading marks available for describing exit solutions.
    My advice would be to follow a similar study pattern as for your other exams. You've sat enough exams by now to know what works best for you. I'd also throw in some time for further reading.