sa2 april 15

Discussion in 'SA2' started by vikky, May 4, 2015.

1. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

Hi
    Now that the exams were over I was wondering what people thought of the paper this time round
    I struggled with deposit back insurance and how it would work in a S2 world (11 marks)
    Clueless about the mcev and S2 merger questions(4+13+2)
    That s 30 marks which went really badly for me
    (my chances of passing are slim)
    Can any of the tutors share some light on what might be the pass mark for such a paper.
    I am guessing others also found these questions difficult to handle

2. jollyfakey

jollyfakey Member

Vikky, i struggled with the same questions.

I know we have always been advised to read wider....but how much of these concepts were mentioned in the study materials.

Best i have come across are arguments and opinions on EV reporting in S2. So am i supposed to learn people's unverified opinion when there has been no straightforward guidance? Or has there been?

I just checked SA3 paper and no mention or test of S2. These SA2 examiners need to chill! :mad: :(

3. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

Agreed JollyFakey.
    I had really worked hard but I have never worked in annuities or EEV so was at a loss how to tackle these questions
    The course notes also dont help in this regard.
    Very very depressing and demoralizing.

4. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

Hi
    Can I please ask the tutor(s) to share their opinion on the SA2 paper and what could be the pass mark this time round.

5. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hello

I suspect you're right that many will have found some of the question parts tough.

For what it's worth, my personal opinion is that it was tricky, parts of Question 2 especially. Hopefully though, some other parts were less troublesome, eg describing the risks of proposed new product. Don't forget, you may have scored well on some of these other parts, so don't despair...

For the particular tricky bits mentioned, I'd expect that the examiners were looking for answers that were based on ideas that are in the course (but applied in unusual situations), rather than requiring additional knowledge from outside the course. So, for the deposit back question for example, we could consider what the current "101% of Pillar Peak 1 mathematical reserves" might be replaced by in the Solvency II world, eg y% of BEL? or technical provisions? maybe + SCR?.

Best wishes
    Lynn