SA1 FAQ (updated 11 April 2011)

Discussion in 'SA1' started by Steve McIntosh, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This thread contains the Subject SA1 questions asked most frequently by students, with answers written by ActEd's tutors. Each year, we'll incorporate these questions and solutions into the study material.

This thread was significantly updated on 21 January 2009. The dates on which all later questions were added will be indicated at the start of each question.

Question

Which recent old era subject questions are relevant to Subject SA1?

Answer

Some of the old Subject 402 and 403 questions are relevant. It is particularly useful to look at past Subject 402 questions that are specifically about health insurance products – these used to be covered by Subject 402 and are, of course, highly applicable to Subject SA1.

We have compiled the following list of Past Paper questions that we believe are useful (some more than others) in the study of Subject SA1. Note that in many cases the situation described in the question will need adapting to make it suitable for health products, e.g. for most Subject 403 questions, we suggest you consider a short-term insurer writing, say, PMI business.

From Subject 402 – long-term insurance

April 1999 exam – Paper 1: Q5, Q7 parts (i) & (ii); Paper 2: Q2
    September 1999 exam – Paper 1: Q3
    April 2000 exam – Paper 1: Q2, Q3, Q4; Paper 2: Q1
    September 2000 exam – Paper 1: Q4, Q5, Q6
    April 2001 exam – Paper 1: Q7; Paper 2: Q1
    September 2001 exam – Paper 1: Q1, Q3, Q4 parts (ii) & (iii), Q5, Q7
    April 2002 exam – Paper 1: Q1, Q3, Q6; Paper 2: Q2
    September 2002 exam – Paper 1: Q5, Q6
    April 2003 exams – Paper 1: Q3, Q6; Paper 2: Q1, Q2
    September 2003 exams – Paper 1: Q2, Q3 part (ii), Q5, Q6, Q7
    April 2004 exams – Paper 1: Q5 part (i), Q6
    September 2004 exams – Paper 1: Q7

From Subject 403 – short-term insurance

April 1999 exam – Paper 1: Q1, Q2
    September 1999 exam – Paper 1: Q5, Q6, Q7; Paper 2: Q1
    April 2000 exam – Paper 1: Q3, Q6, Q7; Paper 2: Q1
    September 2000 exam – Paper 1: Q2, Q4
    April 2001 exam – Paper 1: Q6, Q7, Q8 parts (i) and (v)
    September 2001 exam – Paper 1: Q1, Q2, Q4, Q5, Q7; Paper 2: Q1, Q2
    April 2002 exam – Paper 1: Q3, Q4, Q5; Paper 2: Q2
    September 2002 exam – none
    April 2003 exams – Paper 1: Q1, Q4, Q5 part (i)
    September 2003 exams – Paper 1: Q1, Q2, Q3; Paper 2: Q2
    April 2004 exams – none
    September 2004 exams – Paper 1: Q1, Q3, Q4, Q6

Note that the mix of topics covered in the above list is not typical of what we would expect in the Subject SA1 exam – much of the Subject SA1 material is brand new and so is unique to this subject.

When considering these questions note too that you will not now have to sit a paper like Subject 402 or 403 Paper 1 (i.e. containing short questions). However, you may still be sitting the relevant Practice Module.

Question

I aim to sit the Subject SA1 exam. The course states that knowledge of Subject ST1 is required. My concern is that I haven't studied Subject ST1 and I only have the one exam to go so I am not intending to.

Answer

Theoretically anything in Subject ST1 could be examined, and so you may find it very difficult to pass Subject SA1 without having studied Subject ST1. That doesn't mean to say you would have to sit the Subject ST1 exam as well, of course, but you are strongly recommended to cover, and make sure that you understand, the material in Subject ST1 if you want to sit (and pass!) Subject SA1.

Question

In Subject ST1, there are some mathematical topics (valuing disability benefits, costing options) brought in from the old Subject 105. Do I need to know about these for Subject SA1?

Answer

Theoretically, all of the current Subject ST1 topics are examinable in Subject SA1. A well-prepared student should be familiar with this material. However, as Subject SA1 is examining the topic of health and care at a much higher level, we think it unlikely that any question would require in-depth knowledge of the calculations needed for Subject ST1.

Question

In the Subject SA1 April 2006 paper Q1 part (iii) (a), there is a reference in the examiner's report to "You will need something on employer's 'discretionary' insistence". What does this mean?

Answer

The employer will occasionally insist that certain key members (or classes of members) of the organisation are covered under the scheme (despite being barred by scheme rules or medical failings) and the insurer may need to know this in advance, and so allow for this in setting unit rates.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
    Amos Mugova likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.