Ruin Theory Question on page 14

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Brian, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Hello,

I was looking through the materials and I saw that the question on page 14 chapter 20 had claims to be a normal distribution iwth 0.7p and 2.0p. However when they derived the distribution of S(1) in particular the variance is 100*(2*5000)^2. How did they derive this?

The above result doesn't match the formula where Var(S) = lambda*m_2 where m_2 is the second moment of the claims distribution?

Warm regards,
    Brian

2. Steve Hales

Steve Hales ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The formula you've given for Var(S) is only valid when the claims arise according to a Poisson process. In this question the total claims at the end of year 1 is normally distributed, without any reference to the number of claims arising.
    The 100*(2*5,000)^2 comes from (number of policies sold) * (standard deviation of total claim amount)^2.

3. Brian

Brian Member

Thanks for your reply Steve,

I had an additional question in section 6.2 following that, when considering the claims below and above e,

how can E[e^(rX)|X>e] be equal to e^(re)?

4. Steve Hales

Hi
    I can't find a section 6.2. Could you check your reference for me?
    Thanks

5. Brian

Brian Member

My apologies Steve, it is in section 2.6 A technicality

6. Steve Hales

Oh, I see! It's not the case that E[e^(rX)|X>e] and e^(re) are equal, the inequality sign between them is important.

Notice that MGF(r) = E[exp(r*X)], therefore E[exp(r*X) | X>epsilon] > MGF(r). This is because the expectation given that X is greater than epsilon must be greater than the expectation which includes the smaller values of X.
    The Core Reading has already established that MGF(r) >= exp(r*epsilon)*pi, so this leads to:
    E[exp(r*X) | X>epsilon] > MGF(r) >= exp(r*epsilon)*pi
    as required.