Royal Mail Shares

Discussion in 'Careers' started by mpyan1, Apr 1, 2014.

1. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

That's a patronising statement.

2. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

Not at all! I may want to change the risk appetite statements of my company and decide to bring in Consultants to prepare a report about RAS seem elsewhere etc.

I, as the CEO, could then present the findings and recommendations to the Board of why my company's RAS should change.

Where is the 'low moral standard' in that....

3. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

Ok - for the sake of not diverting the debate let me apologise if you have found any of my comments on this narrow point patronising.

FYI - Leadership is predominately about managing relationships and the differing aims and objectives different stakeholders may have.

4. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

That's bringing in 'experts' to agree with your point of view.

It harms the Profession's reputation if Actuaries are just going to be some useful 'experts' who can spin some facts together (and omit some other important facts) for a few quid.

5. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

I'm not interested in your lectures about leadership which sound like something you've brainwashed yourself with from some self-help book. Stick to the topic at hand.

6. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

It's not about being corruptible and unethical; it's actually more about recognising we are human beings and understanding that no one person is an island and must therefore bring others on the journey with you. This often involves compromising.

7. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

Haha! Not at all. As it happens I have actually co-founded a business that's doing well so am actually talking from stone cold experience. And to think you accused me of being rude no less than 5 minutes ago... it's laughable.

As for your point about not being interested in lectures on leadership... I suspect whether you need it or not will depend ultimately on how ambitious you are. We all could do with lessons on softer skills; I'd personally take a free lesson from anybody anytime.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  8. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

OK. I suspect me continuing this debate with you is a little futile so I will make a peaceful exit.

9. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Compromising your ethics for a few quid? Well well, no wonder the world is in such a mess.

10. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Why bother with spin and flattery, just put a few quid in some brown envelopes...

11. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

For the avoidance of doubt; nobody said anything about compromising ethics

12. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Oh you didn't mean that, really?

13. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

Haha! You have a certain view of the world, which combined with your pessimism has hardened your beliefs. Let's leave it at that.

14. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Yes I see it for what it is. It's not pretty.