Rounding difference when calculating whole life assurance for last survival payable immediately

Discussion in 'CM1' started by yuli2513, Aug 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. yuli2513

yuli2513 Very Active Member

Hi,

When doing the 2nd question 11 (page 8 for question, page 54 for answer) from CM1 ASET 2016 April paper, I noticed a very large rounding difference when applying different methods to calculate the whole life assurance for last survival payable immediately.

I used a method different from what's given in the answer:
    - I first calculated the 'last survivor annuity payable continuously' with the formula ('last survivor annuity due' - 0.5), and I obtained 16.146
    - Then I applied the premium conversion relation and calculated the 'whole life assurance for last survival payable immediately' as (1 - delta * 'last survivor annuity payable continuously') and I got 0.36674

The answer follows another method and the suggested answer is 0.366894.

The rounding difference seems to be quite large here. I am wondering if this is a concerning point for the exam and if there is a rule of thumb that I should follow for similar calculations.

Thanks in advance for looking into this!

2. Joe Hook

Joe Hook ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The difference here is in the 4th decimal place so I'd suggest it's still a fairly small rounding difference we're talking about here. They will happen depending on approach as you've experienced here. No rule of thumb here as such. Pick your approach and retain a good number of decimal places in your calculation. Ideally you'd perform your calculations in excel and then everything is to full accuracy.

yuli2513 likes this.